Tuesday, September 9, 2008

MECHANICS IN ALL SHAPES AND SIZES

After spending most of the day working on repair station records, Dennis got a little break from paperwork at "quitting time". "The Buppsters" arrived with bicycle in tow. With their dad away, Mom and daughters were looking for help replacing the bicycle tube and tire. Shortly after this photo was taken the "crew" moved into the hangar, next to their dad's tool box, so a bicycle repair learning session could take place. Unfortunately, the tire had to be replaced (which meant another trip back to the hardware store) and the "classroom experience" was put off until today. Tonight I expect to hear there are 3 happy girls riding a repaired bicycle around the streets of Coshocton. Today is riding lesson day. We started out in the pouring rain, caught the ornery little miniature horse and proceded with a lesson in checking and cleaning hooves. I've spent my whole life with horses so it is often surprising to me how awkward some things are when kids do them for the first time. Hoof cleaning is one of those experiences. While Rocky (the miniature) is quick to cooperate with me, he determined he was going to "plant" his feet into the ground for Ruth-Anne. After a few fumbling starts, a spirit of cooperation between instructor and student (one holding the hoof, the other cleaning), all 4 hooves were done and a new horse experience was added. I wonder if that is how God feels when He asks me to do something and I fumble around. Does He wonder, "how difficult can this be"? I do know, He comes alongside, step-by-step patiently showing me the way until I, too, have learned the lesson and the next time I can confidently move ahead to the place He asks me to go.

1 comment:

Keith said...

Nice analogy about God, learning life lessons, and cleaning hooves.